"Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter the flame." ~B.K.S.Iyengar

Thursday, November 18, 2010

"If not now, when? If not you, who?"-Karen and Sean Conley

I dare say you would be hard pressed to find anyone who couldn't tell you at least one teacher that they will always remember. I for one, could probably name several. My fourth grade teacher Mrs. Snyder who first got me passionate about writing. My insightful and hilarious High School English teacher, Mrs. Miller. Not to be confused with my third grade teacher aptly nicknamed Miller-the-Killer. Not gonna lie, 1987 was a rough year to be 9 at Reedurban Elementary.

Teachers affect us in a very fundamental way. Who are we really but a collection of teachers? People that shape and challenge the very basis of what we believe, understand and hold dear. A theory that I have is that some of the greatest teachers are simply people who believe what they teach. Truth recognizes truth. The information then gets stored in a genuine place and is forever tied to that teacher. Forever linking this feeling that you are always their student, no matter how many years go by.

My current yoga teacher, Joseph Stingley is one of those people. He teaches from a place of love and strength, and you can't help but feel it.

I will forever be indebted to my yoga trainers and teachers, Karen and Sean Conley. If I had to describe them using one word I've decided it would be: real. Every thing about them exudes a contentment in their own skin. A genuine desire to teach others to be mindful, grateful and then sharing what you know with others. These amazing people have written a book, and I would be remiss to not share it.
I'm sure they are just so excited to have a rave review written to a whopping 4 followers so far, but hey, PR is PR right??

I've been trying to read carefully and slowly and take it all in, resisting the urge to devour the book in one sitting. But like any teachers we adore, we can't get enough. We want their guidance faster than we can take it all in. Like shoving in Thanksgiving dinner till the fat pants come on, and still being happy as a clam.

If you want a book that will uplift and strengthen your yoga practice, I think it goes without saying at this point, but I'd highly recommend theirs. Amazing Yoga: A Practical Guide to Strength Wellness & Spirit.

I hope in reading this post you were reminded of teachers who will always mean something to you. Maybe write them a note of thanks and the effect they had on your life. It might surprise you in doing it, who it means more to. Them, or you.

No comments: