"Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter the flame." ~B.K.S.Iyengar

Monday, December 6, 2010

Your Best Class Is Your Next Class

Yogis rock. Seriously.


I had an audition Saturday for a local gym. If you haven't had the opportunity of trying out for a fitness instructor position, let me tell you, it's an experience.
There were about 16 ladies there, all trying out for different things. About a dozen were there for classes ranging from Zumba to Cardio Kickboxing and of course, why I was there...Yoga. There's a not at all intimidating panel of 3 judges who give you 3-5 minutes to conduct "your class." The rest of the participants are the students in the class who you then teach for the judges.

The yogis in the room were not hard to spot as we were the only group of people trying to Kickbox in our barefeet. You'd think the whole experience would just be beyond bizarre, and in fairness, it is a bit. What surprised me most was the commradary. After everyone's section people clapped and were extremely encouraging. We were all going after limited job slots, so we technically should have been throwing intimdating stink eyes at each other, messing up on the routines like, "well gosh, if I can't follow her, probably no one can..."

It was an exhausting couple of hours but in between breaks the yogis came together like magnets with words of encouragement, support and jokes about our barefeet. But it was exciting to see in action that consistantly practicing contentment, gratitude and love on our mats, really can't seem to help but spill over into our daily lives. Imagine that??

I start my days with prayer and I usually always ask for things like patience, gratitude, strength, and love for those around me. While I know that I have been blessed at times with an extra measure of these things when I have really needed it, I know I can't just be given these gifts. They need to be cultivated and nurtured on a daily basis so that I posses these gifts at all times. I love that yoga is simply a tool in my spiritual toolbelt that helps me work on these things. Helps me get in touch with who I am; to see what motivates me, what paralyzes me. Where I am strong, and where there is room to work. And if an added benefit over time happens to be a toned yoga butt, well then, who's to complain? I know I wouldn't.

Yep. Yogis rock. They rock because they recognize if their best is always enough, well then, so must everyone else's.

2 comments:

Beth Ann said...

Loving the first 8 inches of your blog! I didn't realize you had a tryout on Saturday, no wonder it was an insane day!! This audition has to beat the class of imaginary students!! I just hope you made eye contact with the real, living people in this one...

Lauren said...

Love this. Thank you, Mel. How'd it go? Hear anything yet? I love your classes! I'm sure you awed those judges!