"Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter the flame." ~B.K.S.Iyengar

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Week Class Schedule


Come practice gratitude this week on your mats! This week's schedule is as follows:


Nov. 23 Tuesday-8:30 PM

Nov. 24 Wednesday-8:30 AM

Nov. 25 Thursday- NO CLASS, enjoy your turkey!

Nov. 26 Friday-8:30 AM *Special 75 minute holiday burn workout.* Come undo the damage!


I understand some of you are black Friday shoppers. But I scare easily and if you do too, come join me Friday morning!

Thought for the week:


I mentioned earlier that I've been reading Amazing Yoga, a book written by my yoga trainers. Something that has really hit home for me is this idea that we often seek happiness through the external. If I just had this job, I'd be happy. If I just had this much money, I'd be happy. If I was a certain weight, surely then, I'd be happy.

We're so focused on the destination of happiness, that we fail to focus on the journey and what we have right now. Dying of thirst, we overlook a fresh water stream, with eyes searching for a lake. And often, once we reach what we thought would bring us happiness, we find that we are no more happy than we were before, already setting our sights on the next external thing that will finally bring us joy.

But perhaps if we were to really be present with our life, we just might find we are in possession of the very happiness we seek. Maybe we're not at our dream job, but it's a job that pays the bills and takes care of our family, maybe we're not at our ideal weight, but our bodies are strong and able to let us do whatever we want of them.

Maybe our relationships are not exactly where they could be, but you know people love you and you love them. Abe Lincoln had it right when he said that "most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be."

Being grateful for things here, now is a choice. Life will bring what it brings. Sometimes things that seem good, and other times things that seem bad. But who's to say?

Do you think the person stuck in traffic and late for an important meeting at the World Trade Center, on September 11, 2001, thinks that was bad luck now?

We must not begrudge life's trials and inconveniences. They are as much about what makes us happy as anything else.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

texaswilliams said...

Hi Mel,
Look what I found. Your blog! I am so proud (and thankful) of/for you! I love you dear friend. Happy Yoga!